Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Hunger Games DONE!

Whoot! I finished the book! Overall, I thought Hunger Games was really a great book and sort of kept me on the edge in terms of it being really exciting for me to read. I think I'm capable of reading the other two books by Suzanne Collins, Catching Fire and Mockingjay because I really enjoyed reading Hunger Games.

On my last book review, I had some comments saying that I should expand on my ideas more. The end of the book is very good! Throughout the games, Katniss had only one ally, Rue, but after she was killed, she was all alone. The Gamemakers had announced that they would be letting the two people from one district survive together and they would both be victors. With that in mind, the main character, Katniss, had to team up with the boy from her district who survived, Peeta.

Before arriving at the games, all of the members of the games have to meet up at the Capitol. There, Katniss' and Peeta's mentor, Haymitch had trained them. Right before going in to the arena, Haymitch told Katniss to pretend to be madly in love with Peeta in the Games because everyone would be watching and that gave them a better chance at survival.

The last couple sentences in the book is :
"Already the boy with the bread is slipping away form me. I take his hand, holding on tightly, preparing for the cameras, and dreading the moment when I finally have to let go," (374).
Peeta, throughout the entire games was not pretending to be in love with Katniss, but Katniss was. This shows how much a person would do to stay alive. In the Games, it's all about survival of the fittest, and in this case, Katniss survived by putting on a great show for her audience. The Capitol and the makers of the Hunger Games in the book demonstrate how they are the puppet master for all of the tributes in the game.

In my opinion, I still stand by the idea that this book was intended for an audience between the ages of 12-18, or maybe even younger. My little sister who is 11 years old read this book and she also enjoyed it. The book is appealing to all ages and there is a good reason behind that.

No comments:

Post a Comment