Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Hunger Games Part 1

In The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, it speaks of what our future world will look like when the government takes control of everything in a monarchy way. The story takes place in the futuristic North America.

Some background info about the Games is that North America is divided into 12 districts and during the Hunger  Games, 2 teenagers from each district (a boy and a girl), ranging from the ages of 12-18 are chosen to take part in the games which take place ion the Capitol. The main goal, the challenge, is to fight until the death;the last man standing wins it all: that is food for their district.

The main character Katniss, steps in to go to the Hunger Games for her sister who was originally chosen at random. Her act of replacing her sister in the Games shows courage and strength. Throughout the first section of the book, she shows that she is an independent girl fighting for her survival. While actually in the Games, she learns that she has to fight independently and that was the only way she would truly survive. Even Peeta, the boy that was also chosen from her district, abandoned her. Katniss is a passionate and loving character. Her main focus is to win, not only for herself, but for her family: her mother and her younger sister, Prim.

In my opinion, the strengths of the book is honestly how the author chooses to characterize the main character Katniss. Usually, it is strange to see a girl actually being able to fight and fend for herself. Collins does a great job of adding a lot of detail as well so the reader is able to really get to know the main character after they're done reading. Another strength of the book is the overall story and theme. The Hunger Games is a metaphor for the government thinking they can control everyone around them and turn everyone in to their puppets. This is what our future might become like if the government takes control of each and everyone of our lives. Overall, the Hunger Games is one of the most compelling books I have read so far.

6 comments:

  1. YAY I am first :D
    I really liked your response to The Hunger Games and it almost have the same theme that I had in mind. I liked how u gave background information about the book because it gives others the chance to know what is happening in the story.The description for Katniss was detailed and after I read it, I had a full understanding of her character and her role. I think that you can expand these ideas in the next blog post. Some of these ideas, such as the description and the strength of the book can be used in the final draft. Overall this was great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I am second -_-:
    I think this post has clear themes that express the ideas of the book. After reading your post, I can tell why is this book's name "The Hunger Game" basically by the describtion you offered. You have some specific describtion for every character, which make the post more interesting. Also, I like your thoughts to the book because it gain the audiences' attentions to the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your blog post because I can relate to your knowledge. I read this same book the last time and I also thought it was a good book. You did a good job where you give some background information about the entire book. I like how you go in to depth about the character Katniss because she's the main one. When you detail the main character, it gives the reader a better idea of what your book is about. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After readining this reveiw I feel ashamed for not picking this book up an reading it myself. I felt by reading your reveiw it gave a great sence of who the characters were and what their struggles were. The way that you decided to describe what you were reading and the words that you used deeply inspired me to want to pick this book up myself. I thak you for describing this book for me and look forward to read it myself.

    ReplyDelete